Wednesday, May 4, 2011

JDD: A Bagel and an Intro.

I’m sitting here in my living room on the couch, on my laptop.  I just opened Microsoft Word 2003.  I have a now-cold parmesan cheese bagel with cream cheese sitting next to me (so much for trying to eat healthy…).  


Being self-diagnosed ADD, I rarely have one powerful thought in my mind long enough to get across the living room to my laptop.  I usually find myself distracted along the way: but not today.  No, today I made it.  I had this concept in my head before I went to bed, and it was still there when I woke up.  Before I allowed myself a chance to forget, I ran with all my might.  One thought dominated my mind: I must  make it!  I blew all distractions aside as I made it to my destination in record time.  I breathed a sigh of relief as I opened up the refrigerator and grabbed the bagels and cream cheese.   As the bagels sizzled in the toaster, I suddenly remembered that I wanted to write about something!  I ran to my laptop and turned it on, and opened Microsoft Word 2003.  I don’t need to tell you the rest of the story because we are living it right now.  You are now up to speed.
I sat down to write a blog post about a serious topic, but then got distracted writing a colorful intro.  So I decided to take that intro and make it a separate post about ADD.  I think I’ll just write about my ADD every once and a while so that you can occasionally get a peak into my little world of swirling thoughts. They seem perfectly orderly to me, but as a very left-brained friend likes to tell me “you just don’t know any better.”  As long as I’m comfortable, that’s fine with me.  I actually get things done faster this way!  A very left brained person will work on one thing until it is done.  I, on the other hand, will start and half finish five things for every one thing they do.  That means that in two days, assuming that the left brainer finished two projects per day start to finish, I will have completed ten projects and already started ten more!  See?  There is indeed power in a busy mind.  And look, see?   The first sentence of this paragraph was going to be the very last sentence, but I got distracted writing about getting distracted and now here I am, 183 words later, still writing!
I have just re-diagnosed myself with JDD:  Josh Distraction Disorder.
I’d better end this thing fast so that I can get on to the real stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment