Friday, June 10, 2011

Blind Love?



            If you ever listen to Christian music radio, you have probably heard the song “Come Undone” by the Christian pop group FFH.
            I never cared for the song a whole lot: mostly because the lyrics were depressing, pop gets old to me quite fast, and it was (and still is) overplayed to the point of being obnoxious.  However, I never really paid attention to a particular line (or any lines) in the song until I heard a different line from a different song (funny, how my mind works that way…).  The song is quite popular, and that is why I’m choosing to point this out.  I am only addressing this one line (though, not out of context), so I don’t want it to be said that I think that this is the only theological problem with the song.

            Toward the end of the second verse, there’s a line that says “it’s true what they say, that ‘Love must be blind’, that’s why it’s still standing by the sinner’s side…” (The capitalization of “Love” was mine.  I wanted to bring attention to the fact that love in this case is referred to as an entity: i.e. God.)
            As I stated previously, I never dwelt on that statement until hearing another song (and the contrast was so stark that it brought the other lyric to mind quite involuntarily).  Rich Mullins, in the chorus of his song “Both Feet on the Ground” has this to say:  “…I don’t think Love is blind: ‘cause I know that You see me, and yet you still choose to be mine with a love that will stand even when I fall down, I know You’ll pick me up somehow.  And You say that true love is to love with both feet on the ground.”

            Now for the contrast, and why I believe that in this case, Rich Mullins got it right, and the message in FFH’s song can be quite dangerous.

            Classic Bible passage:  “For while we were helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.  For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone might dare even to die.  But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:6~8, emphasis added)
            What do we get from that passage?  God knew exactly who we were.  There was no fooling Him; he had watched us rebel and worship anything and everything but Him from the dawn of creation.  And yet…YET:  He loved us anyway.  Wow…  is that incredible or what? 
            So now we see what a discredit to God’s love it is to say that His love is blind!  Talk about humanizing God!  If His love was truly a love of blindness and ignorance, simply not being in the know as to our true identity, how is that something admirable and deserving of worship? 

            Having recently watched “Pride and Prejudice”, that story is in my head at this moment for an example.  Take Mr. Wickham:  He’s handsome, charming, smart, and every female in the present cast is enamored with him.  We have every earthly reason to like (or “love”) him.  But what happens when we discover who he really is?  We can’t stand him:  he’s venomous, he’s deadly, and we want absolutely nothing to do with him.
            That, my friends, is what we call blind love.  We loved him only because his cunning masquerade had us fooled into believing that he was good.  As one character put it “one has got all the goodness, and the other all the appearance of it.”  Clearly, our love for him was not intended to be absolute, because we forsook him at a moments notice.  That’s our love;  Our sinful, selfish, prideful, (prejudiced, ) and unforgiving love.  As soon as it looks as though someone is of no further use to us, we drop the ball and toss around rationalizations to ease our conscience (until even or conscience doesn’t care anymore).  Why is it so hard to look a homeless person in the eye?  What have they ever done to harm us?  Why should it matter?  By they are passed the view of our car, we have either made sufficient excuses to ourselves why not to buy him something to eat and share the gospel with him, or never had the thought to love them like Jesus enter our mind in the first place.  That’s our love.  
God’s love?  Oh, so much greater by far: so much deeper and wider and more powerful than our minds and hearts have the capacity to understand.

God’s love is not blind.  If is was, He would dropped us a long time ago.  I know that I’ve sinned since my salvation seven years ago, and I know that He saw it.
He loves us with open eyes and open arms: with a love that should leave us speechless.

Let’s really think about what God has loved us through.  It’s unbelievable.
When you’re done doing that, ask Him how you can thank Him for it.  It’s worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment