Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Letter to a Friend


 Friend,

            If your heart is destined never to find Jesus, then I wish you all the happiness that this shadow of a world can offer: for it is the only life you will ever know.  But if you are indeed to become one of God’s children, I pray that your life will be filled with such a void that you are driven by great desire into the arms of Christ.  That, my friend, is a life of fulfillment and joy: a life worth living and dying for.  You are loved.

                                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  “Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and you shall find; knock and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks will find, and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.  …if you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in Heaven give what is good to those who ask Him?”  (Matthew 7:7~11)

2 comments:

  1. That's sad that the Christian stations play songs with lyrics like that. I'm always annoyed when they play stuff like The Fray! Grr. :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get that: I’ve heard so many wishy-washy songs that never challenge anybody. That is not what we are called to do.

    The person this “letter” (though, it was not addressed to anyone in particular that I know) was the person refusing to accept Christ because of suffering and hardship. I was thinking through what I might say to someone who asked me why God makes them suffer. The answer? He wants you. He wants you desperately.
    So my thesis for the assertion in the letter would be that any amount of pain would be worth it if it brought them to joy in Christ. No pain can compare to that of Hell, and no joy can compare to that of Heaven.
    Charles Spurgeon said something to the effect of “if I knew that all of God’s elect had a stripe on their back, I would go about lifting up people’s coattails to see with whom I am to share the gospel. But since the elect are not so marked, I must be diligent to share the Good News with all.” I will never know who will genuinely come to Christ, or at what time, so the part about all the joy that this shadow of a world can offer was merely to give juxtaposition to eternal joy, and fleeting, shallow happiness.

    ReplyDelete